To be eligible for CSRS Offset you must have
met the following criteria:
- hired by government after 12/31/1983 (*these employees will also be covered by Social Security)
- CSRS employees with a break in service of more than 365 days
- 5 years of service under CSRS prior to 01/01/1984
- Rehired after 12/31/1983
CSRS Offset employees are "grandfathered" to the CSRS rules for retirement eligibility and retirement pension.
CSRS Offset vs. CSRS
- CSRS Offset contributes to Social Security. CSRS Offset employees who retire prior to age 62 will collect a traditional CSRS Pension HOWEVER when they turn the age of 62, their pension is permanently reduced by what they will receive from Social Security.
Did you know? There ARE limits on the amount you may receive from your annuity.
- Maximum annuity is 80% of my "High 3"
- 80% represents 41 years 11 months of creditable service PLUS any unused sick leave
- If you have more than 41 years 11 moths of service (excluding sick leave), the excess and unused deposits will be refunded to you, applied to re-deposits, or applied to a voluntary contribution